A primary to secondary school transition toolkit for youth professionals educators & coaches.
About Moving Up
Transitioning from primary to secondary school is a pivotal point in a young person’s life.
Research indicates that some of the key concerns they have are around making new friends, belonging, being bullied, coping with the additional workload and adjusting to having lots of teacher.
Moving Up is a strengths based coaching program that includes instant access to training and all the resources educators need to assist students prepare emotionally and practically to make a successful transition from primary to high school.
Every student will design their own “Step for my high school success” transition plan, that includes strategies to assist them:-
Deliver Moving Up over 3-5 hours in the classroom.
Lead your students through our signature five step P.O.W.E.R Coaching Model to design their own “Steps For My High School Success” action plan over 3- 5 hours in groups or online. Their plans can then be used for ongoing coaching and support.
Step 1. P = Imagine Possibilities
• Celebrate their primary school experiences.
• Explore their feelings about going to secondary school.
• Identify their future hopes and aspirations
Step 2. O = Become Organised
• Learn the differences between primary and high school.
• Identify any fears and challenges they may face.
• Brainstorm strategies to be their best in five key areas:
1. Making new friends connect to teachers.
2. Adjusting to new routines and knowing their way around.
3. Getting involved, have fun, and growing in confidence.
4. Managing the workload and performing well.
5. Becoming independent and organised.
Step 3. W = Develop Willpower
• Weigh up the costs and benefits of making the effort.
• Build their commitment, confidence, and responsibility.
Step 4. E = Build Emotional Skills
• Identify their unique qualities and strengths.
• Identify the skills and qualities they want to develop.
Step 5. R = Achieve Results
• Design two S.M.A.R.T steps they will take from today.
• Identify who will support them along the way.
• Celebrate by receiving a “Moving Up” certificate.